Thursday 22 July 2010

Warm up or Else!!

Ok, so who amongst you actually does this? if out of the whole lot of you 1 did I would be suitably amazed. The worst culprits are rock bands and rappers and I was exactly the same. Looking back it is crazy because it makes a huge difference. I guess it does seem a bit “Music and Drama” and is hard to do at a pub gig but I can honestly testify to it being very worthwhile and if you want to take this business seriously you don’t want to have blown your voice by the time you are 25!

Warming up does have a number of serious benefits. Firstly it will actually improve your performance when you go on. If you do a 10-15 minute warm up around 20 minutes before you are due on, you will be surprised how loose your voice actually is when ShowTime comes around making that first track far easier to get out. These exercises should also be done as often as possible (daily if you can) as it will actually build you voice and strengthen it in the long run. Finally, and this is why most unsigned acts should take heed, these exercises will assist your recovery, meaning if you have a few gigs in quick succession then your voice recovers and doesn’t sound awful in gig 3!

So I used to do a time old technique that after a bit of searching (because I am too good for you) I actually found on YouTube. Now before you laugh I know this is pretty cheesy but trust me it works – not too sure about the final part but the moving your head up and down is a great little warm up




Hope this helps and don’t forget to submit your tracks to us for a review as there is still time for this month’s Artist of the Month competition. There are some awesome acts and quite the eclectic mix from Hip-hop to Hard Rock – something for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment