Sunday 3 April 2011

Band of The Month - The FIx


Well it's that time aain and this months winners are hard rocking quartet The Fix. We caught up with the guys to see whats new with them, plus see how they are promoting thier music.


How did you guy’s form?

I moved to London 3yrs ago from the midlands with the sole purpose of forming a band. Lots of advertising and meeting people in pubs and practices. It took me two years before I met Mike (Bass Player) and then another six months to meet Fando (Lead Guitar). Phil (Drums) I found on a musician advertising site.

We get on really well and that was as important as being able to play and create.



“Bob” is an awesome track and demonstrates a very unique style – how did that track come about?

Thanks man! I write most of my songs on acoustic guitar and have a vision in my head when I do. I remember it taking me quite a while to write, I always start with music and came up with the verse riff first. The chorus came very naturally but it was the breakdown that took time to perfect.

The lyrics were an idea i’d had for a while and something that isn’t your standard theme. I called it Bob after the character that i’m singing about, I’m really proud of it and it’s probably my favourite track to play live.

What is your general writing process?

All of the songs on the current EP were written by me on my acoustic guitar at home that I already had written for a band. Now we’ve started writing at practices together. Someone will bring an idea to the table and we’ll generally allow each other to find a part to play. We’re not afraid to suggest other ideas or constructively criticise either and I find it healthy to do so.


During the writing I’ll usually have an idea of what I’d like to sing about forming and just have to feel it out and think about it. I take time over my lyrics as I think they’re incredibly important. What do you find most difficult about being an unsigned act in 2011?

Getting noticed. I know nowadays there are more ways than ever before to get your stuff out there to be heard and people can watch you on youtube or myspace but with that comes the problem of the other million billion other acts out there trying to do exactly the same. Hopefully our quality can stand out haha.

What are your top tips for other unsigned bands?

I played a gig with a previous band once and the band we were supporting were due to sound check first. They were a local band and we were travelling from stafford to manchester. We got there on time but were doing our check after the headliners as is standard. They strolled in 45mins late, were rude to the sound engineer and had no interest in acknowledging us when we said hi.

Basically the opposite of that! Be professional, be polite, be respectful. We haven’t done anything yet, we’re an unsigned act trying to get noticed and one of the things I believe people appreciate is professionalism, politeness and respect. What goes around comes around.

Also, don’t just record something, stick it on myspace and wait for the call to come. Don’t kid yourself, you’re going to have to work your arse off! What is your fantasy band line up?

That is just so unfair!

Ok lets give it a go

Vocals - A choice between Eddie Vedder, Guy Garvey and Tom Waits Guitars - John Frusciante, Josh Homme, Johnny Greenwood and Dean Deleo Bass Guitar - Robert Deleo, John Paul Jones or Paul Mccartney Keys - Ed Harcourt or Ben Folds Drums - Dave Grohl, John Bonham or Stewart Copeland

Tell us an amusing band story

This is a story from my old band.

When we did one of our tours we would hire a van, two in the front and all the equipment and the other 3 in the back, in the dark with an old sofa and a matress.

Our lead guitarist had a bladder the size of a flea and constantly needed to use the facilities. On one of our longer drives back from a gig, that call of nature came again but no service station in site for at least 20 miles. Unable to hold out he found an empty plastic milk bottle and proceeded to do the deed.

Unfortunately for him he hadn’t realised there was no lid or cap and so for the next 20 miles was holding an open bottle of piss in the dark in the back of a van.

During those 20 miles there were many swerves and close calls as piss sloshed back and forth from the open bottle when all of a sudden the services were upon us. A sigh of relief as we pulled in, then, we hit a speed bump into the services car park, the bottle flew from his grasp and drenched the back of the van in stinking hot urine. The amps, the sofa, the matress and 60% of the band completely soaked!

Those last 100 miles were very quiet indeed!

What are your views on Band Assist?

Fantastic, Some good sound sensible advice from people who have seen it done it and got the t-shirt. Real friendly and nothing but good things to say about you guys!

What’s next for you?

We’re recording our second EP in June, before then we have photo shoots, gigs at the bowery (8th april), the troubadour (11th may) and are starting to put together our website. Lots of hard work, fun and cups of tea ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment